Rachel Maser of CleanFoodCrush.com
Taco Stuffed Summer Squash Boats
Have this tasty and super simple meal get sizzling on the grill. You can also bake them in the oven.
- 4 medium summer squash, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 pound lean ground turkey, or grass-fed beef
- 1 Tbsp homemade taco seasoning
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced small
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, diced small
- 4 oz tomato sauce, low sodium
- 1/2 cup low-sugar salsa
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese of choice (optional)
- chopped green onion or cilantro, garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees f.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. With a spoon, scrape out the seeds of the squash. I simply toss the seeds because the center is very watery.
- Dip the squash in the boiling water for 1 minute, then place on a towel to dry.
- Arrange squash like little boats on the bottom of a baking dish. Set aside.
- Brown meat in a large skillet. Add taco seasoning, onion, bell pepper, tomato sauce, and salsa. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Fill each squash boat with the taco meat mixture, then top with cheese. Cover with foil and bake 25 minutes or until squash is soft and cheese is melted.
- Garnish with green onion, and serve with additional salsa.
- These can cook on the grill on top of a flat grill pan.
- I cook them on med-high for about 15 minutes until nice & bubbly.