Carrie Vitt, NTP of DeliciouslyOrganic.net
Oatmeal Cream Pies
These pies are moist, chewy, and filled with a decadent buttercream – sweet, buttery, and melt-in-your-mouth perfect.
- For the Filling:
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup organic whole cane sugar or sucanat
- 1 teaspoons vanilla
- pinch of salt
- 2 sticks butter, softened, each stick cut into tablespoons
- In the bowl of a standing mixer whisk together, eggs, whole cane sugar, vanilla and pinch of salt.
- Set bowl over pot of simmering water.
- Whisk constantly until the mixture reaches 160 degrees, about 5 minutes.
- Beat egg mixture on medium-high with whisk attachment until light and billowy, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the speed to medium and add butter one tablespoon at a time.
- When all of the butter is added it might look curdled, but keep mixing.
- Turn mixer on high and beat for 1 minute until light and fluffy.
- To assemble cookies: Spoon buttercream into a pastry bag with a large tip attached. (If you don't have a pastry bag, simply spoon the buttercream into a ziploc bag and snip one corner off of the bag.) Pipe about 2 tablespoons buttercream onto half of the cookies. Top the frosted cookies with another cookie to create a sandwich.