Lemon Chicken Piccata
This soup recipe makes 2 servings. Reserve half for dinner tomorrow. If you prefer to make a large pot, you can double the recipe and freeze to use for a replacement soup later on in the GF Med program!
- 1/2 cup dry pinto beans or cranberry beans
- 1/2 cup dry white beans
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced carrots
- 2 cups good quality low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 smoked ham hock
- Pick through the beans to remove any stones. Put into a pot where they will have room to double and add enough cold water to still them when they double. Soak the beans overnight, then pick through to remove any that look bad. Drain the beans and rinse them.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in your soup pot. Add the onion, celery, and carrots, and saute for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring. Add the beans and the rest of the ingredients to the pot and turn the heat to high. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer the soup for 2 1/2 or 3 hours, until the beans are tender. Remove the ham hock, shred meat, and add it back into the pot.